expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Bullet Journal Part Two: How To Start



Welcome back,

Yesterday I posted a kind of introduction/explainer to an organiser called The Bullet Journal, if you missed it you can check it out here. Now for the second part of this little series I'm going to walk you through setting up your own bullet journal. It may seem a bit of a task to set up but once that part is done it promises to make life much easier (I hope!) here’s how to get started...

What you need:

A notebook
A pen

(No seriously that’s all you need! Of course you can add any extras you like such as washi tape, coloured markers or stickers. You can spend a little more on special dotted journals and fancy pens but a plain notebook and ballpoint works perfectly).

Set-Up:

The first thing you need to do which may seem a bit tedious but is worthwhile in the long run is to number all the pages in your notebook. This will make finding everything much easier later.

Once you have that done open the first double spread page in your notebook and write “Index” at the top. Every time you create a new page in your journal come back here and list the title and page number so you can find everything easily.

Title your next two pages “Future Log” and write the page numbers in your index. The future log is basically looking at the coming year as a whole, you don’t need to wait until January just start your calendar from the month we are in now, for me that’s October. I’m using one page as a yearly calendar so I can see what dates fall on which day at a glance. I find this really useful because I’m always asking what day of the week will, say the 24th be for example, you could of course simply stick a small calendar printout here if you don’t want to right it out.  My other page is where I’ll list the birthdays and events I want to remember such as holidays. Some people might prefer to use the whole two pages as a month by month calendar or maybe use one page for your school/college timetable.

The following two pages is for beginning your monthly log so title them with the name of the current month, again I’m writing October. Don’t forget to add the page to your index list. Monthly logging is a place to write all your goals, appointments and events for the upcoming month. You can make a note of everything you want to get done this month as well as anything you didn’t get around to last month.

At this point you can start “Daily Logging” which looks like your standard diary or planner pages. Depending on how much you want to write each day you can use one page per week, one page per day or I’m using each double spread as one week. It doesn’t really matter how much space you use as long as you jot the page numbers in your index. Don’t feel like you need to go counting pages ahead for the next month or rest of the year, I like to draw out my daily log for the week ahead you might want to take it day by day each morning, whatever works for you.

Now here’s where the unique part comes in, it’s time to make your “Key”. This is a list of symbols or “bullets” and their meaning that gives the bullet journal its name by allowing you to take a note of and rearrange things in a way that is super easy, fast and looks nice too. You can come up with any bullets you like just keep it simple, I'll include a picture of my key but I highly recommend looking on Pinterest as there are so many examples of bullet journal layouts there you can use for ideas! Put your key somewhere it is easily found, I had a spare single page before my first double spread so I used my first page, you could use the last page. Another good idea is to use a sheet of card cut to the size of your journal and have a bookmark style key so it is always to hand when writing your daily log.

That’s it! You’re all set up to start rapid logging (using your bullets to fill out your journal). It may seem complicated reading through this post but just take it page by page and work your way down the instructions. Keep an eye out for the next post in this series to learn more about bullet journaling or subscribe to never miss a post! 

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch and as always I hope you enjoyed reading.


A xx



No comments:

Post a Comment