expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, 5 October 2016

My Brownie Recipe


Hello again, today's post was requested by you guys so I hope you enjoy!

I work part time in the kitchen of a local pub making desserts and it wasn't much of a surprise to learn that the best selling dessert was our chocolate hazelnut brownie. I think a brownie is the ultimate chocolately treat especially when served warm with a gooey centre ! *drools in the style of Homer Simpson*. And I've
 tried for a long time to find a really good but simple brownie recipe in search of that set crisp outside and rich gooey chewy middle so ended up creating my own recipe taking inspiration from what I liked about the dozens I've tried. 

I know there's loads of brownie recipes out there and I came across some really great ones but almost all of them had added nuts, coffee, extracts or syrups, tasty but not very fussy eater family friendly. I'm really happy with my results and I've tested this recipe loads of times so I want to mention that the better the quality of chocolate you use the nicer the brownies will be. The higher the coco percentage in the chocolate the more chocolatey your brownie will be (I look for about 70%) but don't be scared if you don't like dark chocolate it will not taste bitter in the mixture with the added sugar trust me! Similarly if you use an instant hot chocolate powder instead of coco powder you will have completely different results as they are not the same thing, instant hot chocolate is made up mainly of milk powder. Also the shape and depth of your tin you will bake your brownies in is quite important for the best chance of achieving that iconic soft middle look for a tin that is at least an inch or 2 deep. Ok, I think I've made you wait long enough.. if you want to learn how to make every chocoholic's dream yourself here's how!



What you need: 

20cm (8inch) square cake tin 

grease proof paper/ baking parchment
oil/butter for greasing
2 heat proof mixing bowls
spatula
whisk
weighing scales
saucepan

Ingredients:

200g semi-sweet chocolate 250g butter/ margarine (butter tastes nicer but you can use either)
350g caster sugar
50g coco powder
80g plain flour (sometimes I use rice flour for a gluten free brownie)
1 level teaspoon of baking powder (or you can use self raising instead of plain flour)
4 eggs (free range if possible)



Method:

 Before you start baking it really makes a big difference if you gather all of your ingredients and let them come to room temperature, it will make blending them all together much easier. Preheat your oven to 180 ˚C/ 350 ˚F/ gas mark 4. Then rub the oil or butter for greasing into your tins and line them with the greaseproof paper because nothing is worse than baking something to perfection then not being able to get it out of the tin !










To make the batter we melt the chocolate and butter together in a bain marie. This just means sitting a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until they have melted together. If you really wanted to you could just melt them in the microwave for 2 minutes stirring halfway through. Once they are completely melted set it aside to cool a little and try not to dip your finger in ! It smells so good this is the ultimate willpower test!







While you wait, in the second bowl whisk together your dry ingredients- the flour, coco powder, sugar and baking powder to break up any lumps and blend them together. Of course if you wanted to you could add 50g of nuts or chocolate chips at this point if you wanted to but I like to keep it simple. Push the the ingredients up the sides of the bowl to make a gap in the centre (called a well).



Now crack the 4 eggs into the gap, break the yolks and whisk them together and making sure your buttery chocolate mix is not too warm first, add it to the eggs and whisk again.


Swap your whisk for your spatula and fold all the ingredients together until completely combined then add your mix to the tin and bake in the middle of your preheated oven for 20-30mins. You can test if it's ready by sticking a skewer into the centre and it should come out with a little mixture still on it but shouldn't be wet. Cool in the tins for 30mins at least, I know it's hard to wait but the brownies are still setting even though you've taken them out of the oven.




Remove from the tin and slice into 12 delicious brownies before eating about 3 of them if you are anything like me !

If you do try out this recipe let me know how it goes and enjoy.



A xx








No comments:

Post a Comment